This guide offers a comprehensive list of the top 13 things to do in Antalya in 2024. Discover ancient ruins, stunning beaches, and local cuisine, and immerse yourself in the vibrant Mediterranean city’s culture. Antalya, a beautiful city on the Turkish Riviera, offers a variety of activities, including exploring ancient ruins, swimming in turquoise waters, and hiking through lush mountains.
Explore The Top 13 Things to Do in Antalya
1) Explore the Old Town (Kaleici)
An enjoyable journey through Antalya’s rich historical and cultural legacy can be had by exploring the Old Town (Kaleici). This historic area provides visitors with a charming view into historical times with its well-preserved Ottoman-era architecture and meandering cobblestone streets.
Antalya’s Old Town: A Charming Experience
- Features narrow cobblestone streets and well-preserved Ottoman-era architecture.
- Labyrinthine alleys with boutiques, traditional Turkish houses, and cafes.
- Highlights Hadrian’s Gate, a Roman-era triumphal arch.
- Art galleries showcase local talent and authentic Turkish artwork.
- Live music performances, street vendors, and locals mingling with tourists.
- Rooftop restaurants or cafes with stunning views of the marina and Mediterranean Sea.
- Offers an immersive journey through Antalya’s past and present.
2) Visit the Antalya Archaeological Museum
The Antalya Archaeological Museum is a truly enriching and captivating place to visit. It allows you to embark on a fascinating journey through the ancient civilizations that flourished in the region. Located in Antalya, Turkey, this museum boasts an impressive collection of artifacts that span thousands of years. It provides a unique insight into the diverse cultures that have played a significant role in shaping the history of the area.
Antalya Archaeological Museum Overview:
- Displays a wide range of archaeological treasures from the Stone Age to the Byzantine era.
- Highlights include intricately carved statues, marble sarcophagi, pottery, jewelry, and mosaics.
- Highlights include the Hall of Gods, featuring statues and reliefs of ancient deities and mythological figures.
- Provides a section on findings from nearby excavation sites.
- The museum’s curated exhibits enhance the visitor’s experience with detailed descriptions and contextual information.
- Ideal for history enthusiasts, art aficionados, and anyone interested in understanding ancient civilizations.
3) Discover Aspendos Theater
Exploring the Aspendos Theater in Antalya is a captivating voyage that transports you to the era of ancient splendor and artistic excellence. Located close to Antalya, Turkey, this exceptionally well-maintained ancient amphitheater serves as a tribute to the architectural genius and cultural importance of the area.
Aspendos Theater: A Roman-Related Ancient Monument
- Designed to accommodate thousands of spectators for theatrical performances, concerts, and gladiatorial contests.
- The theater’s acoustics are remarkable, with even a whisper on stage heard at the top rows.
- Today, it is a hub for cultural events and performances, attracting visitors worldwide.
- Offers panoramic views of the surrounding countryside, providing a picturesque setting for exploration and photography.
- Aspendos Theater offers an opportunity to connect with ancient civilizations and appreciate their architectural achievements.
4) Relax at Konyaalti Beach
Konyaalti Beach in Antalya offers a serene escape on the Mediterranean coast, offering visitors a blend of natural splendor, crystal-clear waters, and a laid-back atmosphere. With a pebbled shoreline that slopes into the azure waters, the beach’s cleanliness and well-maintained facilities make it an inviting destination for sun-seekers, families, and water enthusiasts.
Konyaalti Beach Activities:
- Relax: Rent a sunbed and umbrella for a day of relaxation with the Mediterranean breeze and the sound of waves.
- Take a refreshing dip. Enjoy a refreshing swim in the crystal-clear waters of Konyaalti Beach.
- Explore the underwater world. Enjoy snorkeling and diving with colorful fish and marine life.
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll. Take a walk along the beach promenade, savoring stunning views of the Taurus Mountains and paragliders.
- Indulge in a delicious meal. Enjoy fresh seafood and traditional Turkish cuisine at various restaurants and cafes along the beach.
- Watch the sunset: Enjoy the magical sunset at Konyaalti Beach.
- Get pampered at a spa: Treat yourself to a relaxing massage or spa treatment after a day of sun and sand.
5) Duden Waterfalls
The Duden Waterfalls in Antalya are a breathtaking natural wonder located just a short drive from the city center. These cascading waterfalls, awe-inspiring in their serene surroundings, are a testament to the power and beauty of nature. Visitors are captivated by the dramatic spectacle of cascading torrents plunging into the turquoise Mediterranean Sea, leaving them mesmerized by their beauty.
Duden Waterfalls are categorized into two main sections: Upper Duden Waterfall and Lower Duden Waterfall, each with its own distinctive charm and beauty.
Upper Duden Waterfall:
The Upper Duden Waterfall, a serene waterfall in the countryside, is a sight to behold. Its cascade of water gushing over the cliff edge creates a captivating curtain-like effect, attracting visitors who can stand on viewing platforms or walk along pathways.
Lower Duden Waterfall:
The Lower Duden Waterfall, near the Mediterranean coast, is a breathtaking natural wonder with the Duden River plunged into the sea. Visitors can take boat tours to witness its beauty, which offers an up-close view of the cascading waters and the sea’s backdrop, making it a memorable and breathtaking sight.
6) Take a boat trip (Antalya)
Antalya offers a thrilling boat trip along the Mediterranean coastline, revealing hidden gems and stunning landscapes. The diverse boat tours cater to various preferences and interests, offering leisurely cruises and exciting excursions and providing a unique perspective on the region’s beauty and charm.
Antalya Boat Trips: A Blend of Relaxation, Adventure, and Exploration
- Antalya’s marinas offer secluded coves, hidden beaches, and enchanting caves.
- The clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea invite swimming, snorkeling, and sunbathing.
- Boat tours often include stops at picturesque spots for swimming and snorkeling.
- Highlights include exploring sea caves like Pirate Cave and Gideros Bay’s underwater caves.
- Some tours include visits to historical sites visible from the sea.
- Sunset cruises provide a romantic ambiance for a relaxed experience.
- Local insights, stories, and anecdotes shared by boat captains and crew enhance the journey.
- Whether a full-day excursion, sunset cruise, or tailored private charter, a boat trip in Antalya offers an unforgettable blend of relaxation, adventure, and exploration.
7) Experience Antalya Aquarium
The Antalya Aquarium is a captivating voyage into the enchanting realm of the underwater world, providing an engaging and enlightening experience for people of every age. Located in Antalya, Turkey, this vast aquarium complex is renowned as one of the most remarkable and extensive on the globe, presenting a remarkable variety of marine creatures in breathtaking displays.
Antalya Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide
- Displays a wide range of underwater ecosystems, including fish, coral reefs, and sea creatures.
- Thematic sections offer exploration of various marine environments.
- The main tank features a variety of marine species, including giant manta rays, vibrant fish, and sharks.
- Interactive exhibits and touch pools provide hands-on learning experiences with marine life.
- Offers educational programs and presentations on marine conservation and ecosystems.
- Provides diving experiences in the main tank for certified divers.
- Additional attractions include a snow-themed area with an Ice Museum and a Snow World zone.
- Caters to families, nature enthusiasts, and anyone interested in ocean mysteries.
8) Discover Perge Ruins
The Perge Ruins in Antalya provide an intriguing view into the past and a captivating journey into the past. This amazing location lets visitors explore the intriguing remnants of a once-thriving city by taking them back in time. Only a short distance from the city center, Perge is a stunning example of the beauty and lasting architectural legacy of the cultures that once flourished in this area.
Perge Ruins in Antalya: A Historical Exploration
- Perge, founded around 1000 BC, was a significant center of trade, culture, and civilization.
- Visitors can explore the well-preserved stadium, a structure that hosted athletic contests and events.
- The ruins showcase the architectural prowess and urban planning of ancient civilizations.
- The site also houses intricate reliefs, statues, and ornate decorations, providing insights into the past’s artistic achievements.
- The theater, a testament to Roman engineering and design, offers a glimpse into the city’s cultural and social life.
- The archaeological site allows visitors to stroll through ancient streets and admire remnants of temples, fountains, and other structures.
- The Perge Ruins in Antalya offer a unique opportunity to witness the legacy of ancient civilizations and their enduring impact on the region’s history and cultural heritage.
9) Wander through Antalya’s parks
Exploring the parks of Antalya provides a peaceful and rejuvenating getaway from the bustling city atmosphere. Antalya, renowned for its rich history and breathtaking coastline, is also home to numerous enchanting parks and lush green areas that offer a serene environment, recreational opportunities, and idyllic spots to unwind and enjoy leisurely moments.
Antalya’s Parks: A Blend of Natural Beauty and Historical Charm
- Karaalioglu Park is located next to the city’s ancient marina, offering panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Ataturk Park: A tranquil oasis away from city hustle and bustle, near the Clock Tower.
- Recreational facilities: playgrounds for children, jogging paths for fitness enthusiasts, and open spaces for picnics.
- Other smaller parks and green areas are scattered throughout the city.
- Antalya’s parks provide moments of peace and relaxation amidst the city’s historical and cultural richness.
10) Experience Karaali Cave
Karaali Cave, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Yatağan, Antalya, Turkey, is one of the oldest continuously inhabited caves in the world. With a length of 1200 meters, it was first inhabited by humans in the Paleolithic period and was continuously inhabited throughout the Neolithic, Bronze, and Iron Ages. Excavations in the 1960s revealed a wealth of archaeological artifacts, including tools, weapons, pottery, and other objects, providing insight into the lives of the cave’s inhabitants.
Antalya Caves and Underground Formations:
- Damlataş Cave is known for its stunning stalactites and stalagmites and purported health benefits due to its microclimate.
- Karain Cave is one of the oldest human settlements in Turkey, yielding artifacts and evidence of human occupation dating back tens of thousands of years.
- Karaali Cave may refer to a lesser-known or newly discovered site, but it’s advisable to check updated travel guides, local resources, or recent information.
- Exploring Antalya’s caves offers insights into geological formations, historical significance, and past mysteries.
11) Green Canyon
Green Canyon, also known as Oymapınar Dam, is a stunning natural attraction in the Taurus Mountains near Manavgat, Antalya, Turkey. It features a serene emerald lake surrounded by lush forests and imposing cliffs, offering visitors a serene and picturesque environment surrounded by stunning landscapes and pristine nature.
Green Canyon: A Peaceful Escape
- Named after the emerald-green waters of the reservoir, created by the Oymapınar Dam on the Manavgat River.
- Offers a serene escape amidst the tranquility of the Taurus Mountains.
- Relaxing boat tours allow visitors to enjoy the canyon’s steep cliffs, lush forests, and crystal-clear waters.
- Adventure enthusiasts can swim in the refreshing waters of the reservoir, while secluded spots offer sunbathing and relaxation.
- A haven for birdwatchers and nature lovers, offering opportunities to spot various bird species.
- Nearby cafes or restaurants offer traditional Turkish cuisine and picturesque views of the canyon.
- A perfect destination for relaxation, natural beauty, and a peaceful retreat amidst Antalya’s countryside.
12) Aqua Land Water Park
Aqua Land, alternatively referred to as Aqua Fantasy Water Park, stands as a well-liked water park situated in Kusadasi, a coastal vacation destination in Turkey. Recognized for its exhilarating water features and enjoyable entertainment suitable for families, Aqua Land presents an invigorating and delightful encounter for individuals of every generation.
Aqua Land Water Park Overview:
- Offers a variety of water slides, pools, and attractions to cater to different preferences and adrenaline levels.
- Features high-speed slides, lazy rivers, and wave pools for thrill-seekers.
- Provides shallower pools, interactive water play structures, and mini-slides for children.
- Wave pools simulate beach swimming sensations.
- Provides entertainment options like live shows, music, and activities.
- Provides amenities like sunbeds, umbrellas, and dining options.
- a popular destination for families, friends, and water enthusiasts in Kusadasi.
- The Aqua Land Kids Club offers a watery kingdom for children.
13) Enjoy Turkish cuisine
Turkish cuisine is a delectable culinary experience, blending flavors, aromas, and cultural influences. Recognized for its rich history and diverse traditions, it offers a diverse array of dishes reflecting the country’s heritage and regional diversity.
Turkish Culinary Experience:
- Mezze: a variety of small plates with hummus, eggplant dip, and dolmas.
- Kebabs: grilled skewers of marinated meat, ranging from lamb adana to chicken shish kebabs.
- Pide: Turkish flatbread topped with minced meat, vegetables, and cheese.
- Manti: Tiny dumplings filled with ground meat or vegetables and yogurt sauce.
- Antalya Piyazı: A refreshing cold bean salad with tahini, olive oil, and onions.
- Sac Kavurma: hearty lamb cooked in a clay pot with vegetables and spices.
- Tandır Ekmek: freshly baked flatbread cooked in a special clay oven.
- Baklava: Filo pastry layers drenched in syrup and studded with nuts.
- Kunefe: warm cheese pastry fried to perfection and drizzled with syrup.
- Lokum (Turkish Delight): bite-sized cubes of flavored gelatin infused with rosewater or citrus.
- Lokantas: traditional lokantas offering authentic home-cooked meals.
- Rooftop Restaurants: Enjoy breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea and Antalya’s cityscape.
- Food Markets: Explore local delicacies and fresh ingredients.